Saturday, August 27, 2011

For All the Children with Broken Hearts

Y Y is my letter. Can't say it's my favorite. That would mean it makes me happy. No, it's just my letter. And brown is my color. But red is rising. My science teacher talked about the earth's plates. They shift around sometimes to make earthquakes or volcanoes. She showed us video clips. Magma makes the plates move. Something just clicked in my head when I heard that. I thought about it a lot. Magma is hot, and it moves around kind of restless. Sometimes I feel like I'm the brown earth. The magma is churning under the surface of my plates, making me feel restless. The red just keeps on pushing. And some day it's going to explode like a volcano. My magma is full of feelings. Sad. Angry. Scared. Lonely. Hurt. All jumbled up together. And it's full of hot questions, too. Why was Daddy so mad? Why does he hit people sometimes? Why did Mama get sick? Why didn't it just work out that I could stay with Grandma? Why did she and Nana have to argue over me? Why did strangers come and take me away? Why can't Buster come with me? Why do I have to go to a foster home? Why did Uncle Buddy show me those nasty pictures? Why did he touch me like that? Why didn't he stop when I said NO? Why can't I just have a normal life like everybody else in my class? Someday I just may shout all my questions at once. They'll spew out fast like lava reaching the sky. People will see the smoke for miles away. WHY? --D. Gornoski

1 comment:

  1. Deb,

    I absolutely love your use of visual images. This piece is so powerful. I hope you will submit it elsewhere.

    Blessings,
    Daphne
    http://blog.daphnewrites.com

    ReplyDelete